Join our 2020 Summer Recreational Soccer Program!
In a bid to make recreational soccer accessible to all - and with the support of sponsors and volunteers - we are offering a low cost recreational soccer program at St George School and at Riverview Park.
AGES U3 - U8 ONLY $25 For the ENTIRE SUMMER
The program runs 11 weeks from from May 19th to August 06, plus a festival (date tentatively set for Aug 8th). There will be no sessions the week of Canada Day (June 30, July 1, & July 2).
This year there are 3 options to choose from
- Tuesday 6:15-7:15pm at St George School
- Wednesday 6:15-7:15pm at Riverview Park
- Thursday 6:15-7:15pm at St George School
Registration is $25 and each participant receives a t-shirt and a soccer ball. (Scroll down after the FAQ to register)
Read our FAQ below for complete details on the program and do not hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Programming for Ages U9-U12
Several parents have asked if we can extend the program to the older ages. In response we will attempt to run a session for U9-U12 on Thursday evenings at St George School. Note that we need at least 30 players to make this feasible, so if interested, please register and spread the word. We will provide a full refund in the event we do not have enough players register.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the format of the program?
- In traditional recreational soccer programs, the players are placed into teams at the start of the season, and then play on the same teams throughout the season. What invariably happens is that each team has a few dominant players, and the remaining players get nothing out of the program. Our format is a little different. We try to make sure all players are placed into groups and play games that maximize their involvement in the play. We utilize a mix of small sided soccer games, and don’t just focus on a single traditional type of game. Although we do that too!
How do you manage the mix of ages?
- At the beginning of every session we call the players together and then break them into groups appropriate to their age and skill level. This allows us to adapt each session to the players at hand (given that it is summer, on any given week a number of players are on vacation). The major benefit of our approach is that parents can bring all their children to the same session. No more running to soccer every night of the week! Although you can do that too if you want to register for more than one session!
What Equipment is required?
- Each player will receive a t-shirt and a soccer ball that is theirs to keep. Shin guards are mandatory so please ensure you have a pair for your player. Cleats are recommended but not necessary if you do not wish to purchase a pair.
What happens in the case of inclement weather?
- We follow the Ontario Soccer Association's guidelines on inclement weather which states that play may not resume until 30 minutes after any lightning has passed. Since weather changes so rapidly in Ottawa, we normally won’t actually cancel a session until game time, but if the weather forecast is calling for 100% chance of Thundershowers we will send out a notice earlier in the day.
What is the parental attendance policy?
- Please ensure that a parent or other responsible adult is in attendance at all times. Coaches and volunteers are there to facilitate soccer games, but can not be responsible for supervising players who leave the field for breaks, washroom visits, etc...
Can I help?
- Absolutely! We rely on volunteers to help out. Many of our volunteer leads are certified soccer coaches, but we can always use help simply to simply help supervise and facilitate games. No experience or soccer skill is necessary. If you are interested in helping, please let us know. Volunteers are a big part of what helps us keep the cost so low!
My child is keen to play more. Is there more to do?
- For most kids, competitive soccer starts at about age 8. For those kids who are keen to work on their skill set before then, we offer a skills and games session on Monday nights at Kaladar Park (near CDN Tire on Bank and Heron - map) from 6:00-7:00pm. This session is intended for the 6-9 year old player who is driven, focused, and wants to work on their skill set in preparation for competitive soccer. It is more drill oriented, with small sided games thrown in at the end. More details and registration available here.